Upcoming Class !
February 5th - March 26th, 2019
Tuesday Nights from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm
MBSR is a structured 8 week program developed by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn in 1979 at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. In existence for over 35 years, the program is now taught in 100's of locations worldwide and there is substantial research supporting the many benefits. The program is largely experiential, includes practice in various modalities of mindfulness and group discussion. Participants practice a variety of methods that are used to cultivate careful and sustained attention as a vehicle for observing the changing conditions of mind and body. While in the program, participants are asked to practice skills at home for 30-45 minutes a day. As in most programs, the more that participants practice and can embody an open and receptive attitude, the more benefits they receive.
Thirty five years of research has shown that MBSR can help:
- Reduce pain levels and enhance one's ability to manage pain.
- Improve overall health: mental, physical and emotional.
- Develop coping mechanisms for the challenges of living.
- Build energy and enthusiasm for life.
- Increase ability to relax.
- Improve one's ability to be fully present in communications with others.
- Enhance one's ability to cope effectively with both short- and long-term stressful situations.
- Professionals engage in better self care and communicate more effectively with others.
Attendance at an information meeting is required for class enrollment.
It is important to understand the benefits and requirements of the program to make a well informed decision about whether the program is right for you and if this is the right time for you to enroll in the class.
The cost of the class is based on a sliding scale from $375.00 - $550.00 depending on time of registration and income. A special rate is offered for couples. Materials provided include short weekly readings, guided meditations, Yoga guides and a Chi Gong DVD.
MBSR is an educational program and not a substitute for therapy. As an educational program, CE's are available for many professionals. If you have questions about whether or not the program is right for you, please call Dr. Earnest at or email her at [email protected].